Sunday, March 7, 2010

Creating a website

The task to create a website proved to be harder than expected. I decided to create my website as a digital portfolio that I can share with future employees.

I started out using google sites and got frustrated mainly with the navigation bar and lack of creativity with templates. I looked at several different sites (and half probably a dozen half finished sites around the web now). Each site lacked something I thought was important. One thing I noticed a lot was the sites often offered the links to other pages lining the top. Because I had so many links, it would cut them off and very few sites allowed the links to go down the side.

My favorite site (and I'm still very sad I could not use this one, it was beautiful) was wix. It did not support html so I wasn't able to insert any of the activities we have done throughout the term. It also was very slow and often crashed causing me to lose all of my work. Anytime I would right click it would freeze up and it was not compatible with my computer, I can't speak for any other computers. The links also 'broke' after you added your own information. I could not figure out how to solve this problem.

I also was disappointed with a lot of the templates. Most of them were plain and simple and didn't allow for personal creativity.

I finally landed on yola.com to create my site. It was the easiest to navigate and very user friendly. However you couldn't customize the templates to fit your needs. The biggest issue I had was with the headings on my pages. It had a set text that was too similar to the header image and if the text was too long, it would blend in and be unreadable. I had to shorten my headings to fit the empty space without reaching into the image.


Overall I'm fairly happy with my site. I like the way it looks, but am a little sad I couldn't use my wix site. I liked the overall professional look of it better.

My unfinished wix site if you want to check it out.

My website!

1 comment:

  1. I do like your wix site. I am sorry it was not useful for your portfolio. Maybe you will be able to use this tool for something else though. I had lots of fun with it when I was trying it out.

    ReplyDelete